Gufi Paintal: Sarabjeet Paintal was an Indian actress, director, and casting director who was better known by his stage name, Gufi Paintal. He is best known for playing “Shakuni” in the Indian TV series “Mahabharat,” which is an epic story about a war between good and evil. He died in Mumbai on June 5, 2023, when he was 78 years old.
Who Was Gufi Paintal?
Gufi Paintal was born in Delhi on October 4, 1944. At the time of his death, he was 78 years old. Libra is his star sign. His family comes from Lahore, which is in Pakistan. He went to school at the DPS International School in Delhi. Paintal and his brother Kanwarjit used to act out small shadow plays when they were kids. Their father was a cameraman. He was always interested in the world of theater.
His father, on the other hand, wanted him to be an engineer. So, when Gufi ended school, he went into engineering. When he finished school, he went to work for Tata Engineering & Locomotive in Jamshedpur, Bihar. Gufi served in the army in Bihar for a few years during a defense situation caused by the war with China.
Later, he was moved to a branch of Tata Engineering & Locomotive in Bombay, which is now called Mumbai. Kanwarjit, his brother, had already gotten his first break by that time. Gufi chose to go into the entertainment business as his brother had done. He started out as a director’s helper.
Gufi Paintal Acting Career
At the age of 24, Gufi Paintal began his career as an assistant director. Gradually, he began to receive character roles. In 1978, he made his film début as ‘Ganesh’ in the romantic comedy “Dillagi.” He subsequently appeared in the Bollywood film “Des Pardes.” He then joined B. R. Films as the technical director.
He used to oversee the advertising division. Then, he was cast as Shakuni in the Indian epic television series Mahabharata. Gufi’s portrayal of ‘Shakuni’ garnered him immense popularity. Subsequently, he appeared in the crime series “Kanoon” as ‘Justice Raghunath.’
He appeared in a number of Bollywood films, such as “Suhaag,” “Maidan-E-Jung,” “The Revenge: Geeta Mera Naam,” “Kaalo,” “Mahabharat Aur Barbareek,” and “Samrat & Co.” Paintal has also appeared on television programs such as “Akbar Birbal,” “Ssshhhh..Koi Hai,” and “Karn Sangini.”
Gufi Paintal Death
A few days into his treatment at the Bellevue Multispecialty Hospital in Andheri, Mumbai, on 5 June 2023, he died of age-related health issues.
Gufi Paintal Family and Caste
Gurucharan Paintal, his father, was a veteran cameraman in Lahore. Few details are known about his mother. Kanwarjit Paintal, his younger sibling, is an actor and comedian. He was married to Rekha, who died from a cardiac attack in 1993. Together, they had an actor son named Harry Paintal. Hiten Paintal, his nephew, is an actor.
Some Interesting Facts About Gufi Paintal
- He enjoyed reading and traveling as pastimes.
- Initially, Gufi entered the “Mahabharat” television series as an assistant director. However, he was subsequently offered the role of ‘Shakuni’ in the television series.
- Paintal formerly earned Rs. 3,000 per episode for portraying Shakuni in “Mahabharat.”
- Gufi and his comrades would perform Ramleela on the frontier for entertainment while serving in the Indian army. During that time, he frequently portrayed Sita.
- Gufi disclosed in an interview that the first salary he ever received was Rs. 7,000 per month, which he earned as an engineer at the Tata company.
- Paintail was designated facility director at the Abbhinnay Acting Academy in Mumbai in 2010.